Monday, June 22, 2009

My take on Chalks.


When we read 'chalk', the first thing that generally strikes our mind is a blackboard inside a classroom. A teacher wearing teacher-like saree and a big-framed pair of spectacles. A bunch of students sitting on their benches, looking towards the blackboard -- at the movement of the piece of chalk held by the teacher.

BUT. To me, the first thing that strikes my mind is -- 'yummy!'. No kidding. Have you ever eaten a chalk in your childhood days? I have. And I loved the way it tasted. I still remember that taste, and it surely was addictive. Those who have tasted it, I'm sure they'll agree to what i just said. It gives you pleasure when you keep a piece in your mouth. Your mouth starts watering. The taste is Divine.

I still get the urge at times, to eat it. But unfortunately, my brain has developed. It now knows much more than what it knew when i was a kid. Now my developed brain has given me the sense and reason of not tasting the 'yumness' anymore.

See, it's chalk. There can be two perspectives: (All this might not make sense to those of you who know TOO much. But I'm sure there will be people like me reading this.)

  • We know our chemistry. Chalk is nothing but Calcium Carbonate. We've also learnt that calcium is good for our body. So eating a chalk means increasing the calcium content of our body. Which means chalk is good for our health.


  • As chalk is Calcium Carbonate, we also know that Calcium Carbonate is also known as limestone. So chalk is lime-stone. Chalk is STONE! So this gives the fear of developing kidney-stones at a later stage. Which means chalk is NOT good for our health. (I wasn't a Biology student, mind you.)

These points are contradictory. So even if chalk increases the calcium content of our body, the fear of develping kidney stones is more than the contentment of having plenty of calcium, somehow.

So everytime I look at chalk now, I TRY to think about a teacher, a classroom and a bunch of students.

18 comments:

HaRy!! said...

Hey Jyoti...hope yu are talkin abt the Slateboard chalks! ho boy , if only i had read this post looong back durin my childhood i used to love them!! infact my classteacher has complained many a time to my parents, and they were relieved when i was in nursery using pencilz:) ...i can actually feel the taste now ! :) super chweet write!

Hary

SD said...

LOL!

I do remember the taste of chalk, although I don't crave for it. Doesn't wet chalk smell almost as good as the smell of wet mud?

Jyoti said...

@Hary: Yeah I'm talking about those chalks. HAHA.. So glad I have someone who feels the same about it. But no complaint has ever gone to my parents.. I used to be good at doing all this secretly ;)

@Shweta: Yeah.. You got it right. Actually, it's more like chalk's TASTE is almost like the SMELL of wet mud. Because chalk doesn't really smell. You know what i mean? :)

SD said...

Ha ha...yeah, you're right :-)

Emaan said...

lol.. good one there ! loved reading it till the end :-)

Arv said...

Hiya... lol @ ur temptation :)

nice facts there though..

take care and have a nice day... cheers..

DPhatsez said...

You have gotta be kidding me!
Eating chalk! (gulp!)

How did you resist the urge when in school? :D

Jyoti said...

@Shweta: I'm always right! :P


@Emaan: Thank You :)

@Arv: Haha. Thank You :)

@DPhatsez: Lol. I know it's weird. But those who've tried it, they know what I'm talkin about. Haha I can just say.. that.. i have.. some large amount of.. Resisting Power! :P Hee hee. [I feel like a superhero]

Gauri said...

howdy doo! :)

chalks eh? personally, dislike eating em, never tried em either.
BUT
I like their superior perfumed equivalent,
aka TOOTHPASTE!

:D (Did I dazzle u wimma smile? :P)

thanks 4 stopping by my blog, do keep coming! :)
(Yea, i know, cheap publicity! :D)

Emaan said...

hi jyoti, once again !
thanx for visiting my blog and your comments are much appreciated, im here to convey a message from mommy.
it is to tell you that she operates my blog and not - im quoting her here- 'stupid daddy'

Zlaek said...

CHAAAAAAAAALK

you make me wanna party..... slate chalks used to be my staple diet! Honest... ye biryani chocolate chinese italian apni jagah par....nothing like chalk! I used to lick...i remember. Told my mom about it today.... and gave me the "WTF!!" look :D :D

super duper post.... especially the way u end it

Anonymous said...

same pinch.. have eaten chalks :) too.. :P

Thoughton said...

chalk..? u used to.. er, still like to eat chalk? u jus gave me a funny feeling in my teeth gal... like wat happens when u write on a blackboard and the chalk refuses to move and screeches all the way...??? yea bt ive seen many kids eat it... never did.. so wud never know da feeling!! heh..

btw, i love ur fishies... they r very cute.. u really shudnt put em in the open like dis for anybody to feed... u might have to start cleaning up their tank more frequently...:)

Jyoti said...

@gkam: Haha yesss! You did dazzle me with your smile.. it's a Colgate smile! :D

@Zlaek: Aahaha! Staple diet ;) Loved your mom's reaction. Totally.

@Chriz: Yeah, same pinch indeed!

@Thoughton: Eww! That screeching is PAINFUL. No no, chalks are good. Don't give us that perspective to look at them :P And LOL at the comment for my fishies :D

Anonymous said...

Eat chalks!!! LOL :D
Very well written :) The ending was too good :D

Have a great weekend :)

Jyoti said...

@Miss Kido: Thank you :)

Lakshmi said...

Wow... I used to eat chalks too...But i guess nothin disastrous happens if its consumed... nothin has hapnd til now :)

Jyoti said...

@Lakshmi: Nothing has happened till now, for sure ;) Lets just hope. I STILL get the urge man :(